Skip to main content

Oft times overwhelmed by the grace of God

It is really mind boggling to me how God causes things and meetings to happen.

I sat in a restaurant, possibly reestablishing a relationship with my girlfriend of ten years, after another of our long periods of absence from each other. She had asked me, during our conversation, if I could run her by the market. So in leaving I opted to take the freeway, as it is much faster. I missed my turn to enter the freeway and had to make a turn around, which took a couple of extra minutes. I am trying to save time mind you. 

Made it up and onto the freeway only to find all traffic stopped. That does not happen unless there is a huge accident, or something ghastly has happened. Now I am forced to exit onto another freeway going the opposite direction. Honestly, most times something like this happens I tend to come undone, but for some reason I am just thinking oh well. I am not in unfamiliar territory though and there is another exit off the freeway, though it was a bit of a press I got off there. The girlfriend suggests that we go to the market that is near this exit, and there you go, the problem is solved.

This is where it all starts to click. I am taken on this huge, circuitous route, to the other end of town. Perhaps, in a sense, against my will (There's a concept for you) to a market that I have only seen as we drive by on occasion. As we are shopping a man is staring at me. I do not find this threatening, but a little uncomfortable. Alright, where do I know this guy from? He approaches and asks “do you know me?” NO, but as we talked I realize that I am familiar with him. I can remember some of the exact same lines that he used when speaking to the audience previously. I can tell you that back then my head was not in this same place, for I thought he was arrogant, foolish, and full of himself back then. Oh lord, will you release me from this body of sin. It is these ugly moments of realization that make me understand Paul's plea, and the answer: “oh thank God, He will.”

This is an answer to prayer, a longing that my spirit has been crying out for, for I do not feel that I get the depth of teaching that I desire, and I so want to be better equipped in terms of Christian apology. If you are unfamiliar with that concept it lends itself to being able to defend what you believe. I am not looking for fights with people, but as an example a man at work who knows I am a Believer asked me what he could say to the Jehovah witness guy that is attempting to convert him. I do not have a solid path in my head, and therefore no good answer for him. I suggested a book I have attempted to wade through, The Kingdom of the Cults, by Walter Martin. There is more information than I think I needed in that book. 

My meeting that night, with this man, at this time, was no accident. This was completely arranged by God, and I need to follow up on this. I also realize that this could also be a wake up call having to do with judging on my part.

Popular posts from this blog

Daniel chapter 10 commentary and notes for Bible study

While a commentary on Daniel chapter 10 may seem uneventful, it was a part of my preparation for Bible study with the men. You see I am just like most of you, a guy who has wanted to understand what I read and its relationship to what is going on around me. I guess that makes me an eschatology person. The guys I sit with call me the expert; I am hardly an expert and I had a religious life filled with presuppositions. Church, while being the place where much of the mental abuse came from, did give me a deep understanding that God loved me; that love trailed me like a hound as I rebounded from hurt to hurt and struggled to free myself from co-dependency - I didn't even understand what that was until a few years ago. As many of you know I put myself in a recovery group called Celebrate Recovery which uses many of the same principles as AA. I did this because my wife wanted me to get help for my rage, and I wanted help as well. For a short period, I worked the information table. Ther…

Daniel chapter 12, verses 3-13. Notes I used to lead Bible Study

Those who have insight will shine I have so many thoughts running through my head on this subject. Let's break it down in simple terms. Why do some of us get what is going on around us, while others, still espousing the same old worn out rhetoric, say, we have been looking for Christ for over 2500 years and he hasn't come back, so stop talking about His soon return. My own pastor told me that prophetic teaching about end times are peripherals and apparently we shouldn't waste any time on teaching about what is coming. Others, just will not get understand, they don't want to. And yet, there are those words - "Those who have insight will shine.

What did Daniel learn?

Daniel 12:3 NASB "Those who have insight will shine brightly like the brightness of the expanse of heaven, and those who lead the many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.

Is God being selective about whom he allows to understand, or is it that he only accepts the wise? I don't beli…

A response to a comment, three years late.

I wrote this in response to a comment. I am including it for your benefit as misconceptions and false teachings run rampant. I rarely talk to anyone who has a firm grasp on what happens after the seven years of wrath. I hope you find this beneficial, and yes, it is long.
Well, here it is three years since you wrote your comment and I am finally responding to it. I wish I could tell you why but I cannot remember now. Perhaps I can chalk it up to not having enough time at that point, but as I had only recently been fired from my last job back then, you might think I had nothing but time. Perhaps I did not have a clear answer and needed to develop a concrete response; or, maybe I just forgot. Regardless, another comment, just a few days ago - three years later, has brought your comment to my attention once again.
Let me add, that in the process of learning how to deal with my thoughts on “paper” and then subject myself to potential criticism, was quite challenging. I can tell you that I …