The Sixth Seal – From the poor to the richest.
And when He had opened the sixth seal, I looked, and behold, there was a great earthquake. And the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood. And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, even as a fig tree casts her untimely figs when she is shaken by a mighty wind. And the heaven departed like a scroll when it is rolled together. And every mountain and island were moved out of their places. And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every freeman, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains. And they said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him sitting on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb; for the great day of His wrath has come, and who will be able to stand?
(Revelation 6:12-17 MKJV)
Verse 12: (From the Wuest translation) “And I saw when he opened the sixth seal. And there occurred...”
- a great earthquake. (Ezekiel 38:19 For in my jealousy and in my blazing wrath I declare, On that day there shall be a great earthquake in the land of Israel.)
- The sun became black as sackcloth. (From Websters dictionary: SACK'CLOTH, n. [sack and cloth.] Cloth of which sacks are made; coarse cloth. This word is chiefly used in Scripture to denote a cloth or garment worn in mourning, distress or mortification.)
- the moon became as blood. (Where I live we have had beautiful sunsets as the sun shines through whatever is in the atmosphere illuminating the clouds with reds and oranges against the background of blue. Should you happen to catch the moonlight just right you would think it was blood-colored. I suspect that the effect will have a lot to do with pollutants being thrown into the air, but there is always the bizarre possibility that God takes this literal.)
- the stars of heaven fell unto the earth. (Lacking astronomical training how would you describe asteroids and meteors striking the earth. As they enter the atmosphere they begin to burn up; those that are large and solid enough continue on, striking the earth. Evidence and theory strongly imply that the earth has been struck by such things on several occasions, creating a havoc that impacted the entire earth. And, like so many other things we will see here in scripture, this could be a literal event.)
- the heaven departed as a scroll. (The International Standard version says, “The sky vanished like a scroll being rolled up.” I am not sure what that will look like but be sure of this, God is really trying to get the attention of those left here on the earth. I have tried several times to convey to those who read my thoughts, that God is above all else, a God of mercy. Yes, this time period is a time of judgment and wrath, but then ask yourself why. After sending messengers, prophets, and then his own son so many have rejected him. Not only rejected him but brutally killed his son. Not to worry, God raised his son from the dead and this victorious Jesus Christ has been seated as the reigning king ever since. The problem is, few bow to the king. To be honest, I do not care if that concept of bowing before him upsets you anymore, for no one is more deserving of obeisance than Jesus Christ, and I humbly submit myself before him.)
- every mountain and island moved out of their place. (As a child in school, our teachers taught what they understood and no one ever taught us that the earth may have been one large land mass now disrupted. I am not a rocket scientist, but just like most of you, I have some common sense. First, looking at a map of the world you can see that they look like worn down puzzle pieces that have been torn apart, and two merely reading scripture, in particular things about the Garden of Eden, tells me that this entire planet was the garden and there was a center. The third thing that should have your attention was the fact that in the most arid environments scientists have found evidence of lush, tropical foliage, along with skeletal evidence of large animals you would never have expected to be there. Point: something extremely dramatic happened to change all that. I can give you a hint. Look carefully at the story surrounding Noah after the flood. Genesis 10:25 tells us of one of Noah grandchildren naming his son Peleg. Peleg is a derivative of palag and it literally means to divide or cleave. I believe that most bible translators spoke of this event in terms of language barriers or ideals because in part they, like most of the world, did not understand or have knowledge of the tectonic plates, and they may have thought the earth was really flat.)
Revelation 6:15-17 ESV Then the kings of the earth and the great ones and the generals and the rich and the powerful, and everyone, slave and free, hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains, (16) calling to the mountains and rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who is seated on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb, (17) for the great day of their wrath has come, and who can stand?"
I have watched enough of the Discovery channel on television to understand that should a super volcano, like the one beneath Yellowstone Park in Wyoming blow, it could cause many of these things. How the destruction arrives and what forms it takes are really irrelevant for God is making it happen with the express intent of punishing the nations and those who willfully reject his Son as the sacrifice that restores the ability to have a relationship with the Father, and apparently this love relationship was God’s intent when he made man to begin with.
I know that Satan lies to you when you read something like this, telling you that you were created as a toy for God’s perverted pleasure, but you do not realize is that outside of God’s restoration, your mind filters everything through a broken mindset; one in which you take the ideals your accustomed to and you assign them to God. You have no idea who God is, you cannot outside of asking Him to come into your life. Only then can you begin to understand that God is love. This makes me chuckle, for I have been where you are. I have had to choose to challenge my worldly mindsets and unbelief, asking myself the hard questions like: is this life in Christ for real? What I have found is that God, this invisible entity, for the most part, has consistently come through, exactly as he said he would. Turn to him through Jesus Christ and he will become real to you too.