Skip to main content

Enduring chastisement. What does that mean?

Heb 12:7  If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
endureG5278
2. hupomeno (G5278), a strengthened form of No. 1, denotes "to abide under, to bear up courageously" (under suffering), Mat_10:22; Mat_24:13; Mar_13:13; Rom_12:12, translated "patient"; 1Co_13:7; 2Ti_2:10, 2Ti_2:12 (KJV, "suffer"); Heb_
Total KJV Occurrences: 18
endure, 5 Mar_13:13 (2), 2Ti_2:10, Heb_12:7, Jam_5:11; endured, 3 Heb_10:32, Heb_12:2-3 (2); endureth, 3 Mat_10:22, 1Co_13:7, Jam_1:12; patiently, 2
1Pe_2:20 (2); abode, 1 Act_17:14; behind, 1 Luk_2:43; patient, 1 Rom_12:12; suffer, 1 2Ti_2:12; tarried, 1 Luk_2:43
The NIV puts it this way: Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?
If I am "to bear up courageously" under hardship at then at least there is the hope  that there may be no future punishment. That would seem to be the whole problem that I am having here. The Jews lived under the law, but the testator died and God's makes a new covenant with man. Under the new covenant, the one that we are living under, the law is written upon our hearts. That would mean that each one of us knows to do right.
Does any of that mean that punishment for breaking the law goes away?
Are we talking man's laws, which for the most part are really God's design, or exclusively God's laws. God's laws seemed more punitive, as the offender was usually killed.
You have to put things into perspective. Let's assume that we are talking God's law. Christ became the one time sacrifice for sins fulfilling the requirements of the law. Since then God is not judging the world for sins anymore. All judgement was placed upon Jesus. Now how was he punished? This passage says to endure your discipline. He was ridiculed, slapped, beaten, mocked, whipped, scourged, nail to a cross, forsaken by the Father (at least momentarily - he said so.), died, and went into hell. If that was what we deserved who would survive? No one. Truth is, believers are suffering fates like this daily. Does that mean they are being punished for their quiet little sins, or perhaps past sins? I do not think so.
Christ took all the punishment upon himself. An old pastor of mine, while trying to do some premarital counseling with the first wife and I, gave us an example in which his daughter had done wrong. She deserved the spanking with the belt (don't get stupid on me here, that seemed to have been the common method at the time, and a fairly effective deterrent). So he calls her in the room, lays out the facts and the punishment once again, and then tells her "but this time I am going to take the punishment for you" and hands her the belt. She of course could not do it, and broke down crying. His point was two fold. One of which was that Christ did the same for us. We deserved it, merely by birth.
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
(2 Corinthians 5:21, WBS)
"All children are disciplined by their fathers. ... God disciplines us for our own good so that we can become holy like him."
Discipline is the Greek word paideia
From G3811; tutorage, that is, education or training; by implication disciplinary correction: - chastening, chastisement, instruction, nurture.
According to the ISBE the radical meaning is that simply of training. In the New Testament the Greek paideia is used with a variety similar to its corresponding Hebrew in the Old Testament. Examples of the fundamental idea, namely, that of “training,” are found in such passages as Act_7:22; Act_22:3, where Moses and Paul are said to have been “instructed,” and 2Ti_3:16, where Scripture is said to be “profitable ... for instruction” (compare 1Ti_1:20; 2Ti_2:25; Tit_2:12; Rom_2:20).
So that I have it straight in my head. I am "to abide under or bear up under my education or training.
If I was training to be an Olympic athlete then I might expect some hardship. Having wrestled for a short time in high school, and I can tell you that training sessions were grueling at times. Although they did not really help me any, they were for a purpose, and that was to make us better.
Here is an interesting thought. I said that the training sessions did not help me much; they did. I got stronger, leaner, and faster. What they did not do was build a confidence in me that taught me I could win. That problem has been with me all my life. What training can do to the outside of the body does not necessarily equate to a reformation on the inside. Suddenly the need for a savior becomes apparent, because man cannot save himself. Yes, there are some deluded people that believe you can. Good luck with that. If you are successful, it is only because God has allowed it for a purpose. If you are not fulfilling that purpose then you are not receiving your training very well.
So the bottom line here is that this is not about God being punitive toward us but attempting to train us. I suspect that what we don't learn down here he will have to take a few extra minutes of our time when we get there. Beside all that scripture establishes that we are in Christ. Is God going to continue training and or punishing Him? NO. The Father loves the Son and has placed all things under his feet, and we are complete in him.
If it does not feel like this is who you are then I would suggest that you continue, in the Word, to abide under training.

Popular posts from this blog

Daniel chapter 10 commentary and notes for Bible study

While a commentary on Daniel chapter 10 may seem uneventful, it was a part of my preparation for Bible study with the men. You see I am just like most of you, a guy who has wanted to understand what I read and its relationship to what is going on around me. I guess that makes me an eschatology person. The guys I sit with call me the expert; I am hardly an expert and I had a religious life filled with presuppositions. Church, while being the place where much of the mental abuse came from, did give me a deep understanding that God loved me; that love trailed me like a hound as I rebounded from hurt to hurt and struggled to free myself from co-dependency - I didn't even understand what that was until a few years ago. As many of you know I put myself in a recovery group called Celebrate Recovery which uses many of the same principles as AA. I did this because my wife wanted me to get help for my rage, and I wanted help as well. For a short period, I worked the information table. Ther…

Daniel chapter 12, verses 3-13. Notes I used to lead Bible Study

Those who have insight will shine I have so many thoughts running through my head on this subject. Let's break it down in simple terms. Why do some of us get what is going on around us, while others, still espousing the same old worn out rhetoric, say, we have been looking for Christ for over 2500 years and he hasn't come back, so stop talking about His soon return. My own pastor told me that prophetic teaching about end times are peripherals and apparently we shouldn't waste any time on teaching about what is coming. Others, just will not get understand, they don't want to. And yet, there are those words - "Those who have insight will shine.

What did Daniel learn?

Daniel 12:3 NASB "Those who have insight will shine brightly like the brightness of the expanse of heaven, and those who lead the many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.

Is God being selective about whom he allows to understand, or is it that he only accepts the wise? I don't beli…

A response to a comment, three years late.

I wrote this in response to a comment. I am including it for your benefit as misconceptions and false teachings run rampant. I rarely talk to anyone who has a firm grasp on what happens after the seven years of wrath. I hope you find this beneficial, and yes, it is long.
Well, here it is three years since you wrote your comment and I am finally responding to it. I wish I could tell you why but I cannot remember now. Perhaps I can chalk it up to not having enough time at that point, but as I had only recently been fired from my last job back then, you might think I had nothing but time. Perhaps I did not have a clear answer and needed to develop a concrete response; or, maybe I just forgot. Regardless, another comment, just a few days ago - three years later, has brought your comment to my attention once again.
Let me add, that in the process of learning how to deal with my thoughts on “paper” and then subject myself to potential criticism, was quite challenging. I can tell you that I …