Sunday, March 24, 2024

An interruption of the Layman's commentary. Are there prophets in this enlightened time of the New Testament?

 My pastor, who is not the only one, will adamantly proclaim that there are NO prophets since the arrival of the New Testament.

Is that true? 

Let's see what the scriptures say.

“For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith.” 
Romans 12:4-6 NASB

These passages clearly identify prophecy as one of God’s gifts to us, Jesus’ followers

We may be missing something, and the terminology prophecy may be mistranslated, causing us to mishandle it.

Here, in Romans 12:6, the word used is prophēteía, from prophēteúō (Strong’s#G4395,) meaning to prophesy. It also conveys the idea of predictionforetelling future events, including the prophets’ declarationsexhortations, and warnings while acting under divine influence. Thayer's definitions tell us it is “a discourse emanating from divine inspiration and declaring the purposes of God, whether by reproving and admonishing the wicked, or comforting the afflicted, or revealing things hidden; especially by foretelling future events.”

Since we tend to struggle with this divine inspiration part, we may add, “Thus saith the Lord,” when, in fact, you are not sure.

  • According to Webster's dictionary, Declaration is "An affirmation; an open expression of facts or opinions, or a verbal utterance; such as he declared his sentiments. We should keep our opinion out of the affirmation.

    • Affirmation is the act of affirming or asserting as true, as opposed to negation or denial. It is also a confirmation, ratification, or establishment of what had been done or decreed before.

  • Exhortation - The form of words intended to incite and encourage. It also means advice or counsel.

  • Warnings - Caution against danger or against faults or evil practices that incur danger.

  • This sounds more like common sense. As a former group leader for the anger group in recovery, my advice, in many cases, could have easily been perceived as a caution against danger or faults, as they will lead to further dangers.

The words (which scare us) are merely a way of understanding the practical forms in which we share God's word. With an understanding of prophecy that looks like common sense, why do we need to lose our minds over the prophetic? 

This might explain some of the reasons we get so upset about the prophetic.

Some time ago, on a Sunday morning, I was verbally assaulted by a “brother in Christ” with a theological doctorate who attended the same church that I did, as he angrily explained that under no circumstance should anyone operating in what they believe is a prophetic word say, “Thus saith the Lord.

The reasons behind this admonition were defined by saying: 

  • By doing so, you falsely qualify the word you give as a valid word from God. This is true because we consistently insert some aspect of our broken lives and emotions into every word we give. 

      I could not disagree with this assertion, and though I could not stand this “brother’, I have since integrated his “exhortation” to me about the words I gave to others.

The man with the doctorate went on to say,

  • The phrase “thus says the Lord” is solely designed to raise the status of the word, which you believe is necessary to provide. 

      Therefore, you are trying to force people to accept what you are about to say

Habit is part of the problem.

  • We have developed the habit of adding “thus saith the Lord” as an introduction and announcement; sometimes, it is simply a tradition. 

      Some would even tell you that God does not need to speak in Elizabethan English; therefore, this archaic word “thus saith” falls on deaf ears and sounds foolish. 

Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith;”
Romans 12:6 NASB

Wow, according to the grace given to each of us.

First, the gifts differ according to the grace given to each of us.

This can imply that some have all or many gifts, but that rarely happens.

Grace is the Greek word charisma and, according to the Strong’s concordance, means a (divine) gratuity, that is, deliverance (from danger or passion); a (spiritual) endowment, that is, (subjectively) a religious qualification, or a (free) gift. The Word Study dictionary conveys that grace is to show favor. A gift of grace, an undeserved benefit.

I know many of us think that we deserve God’s benefits (grace) merely because we make lots of money, have a theological doctorate, wear fine clothes, and when we talk, people listen. If you are not aware, we were all born into sin, and all your self-applied traits will burn up at the Bema seat should you happen to get caught up in the rapture of the church. Perhaps the best way to picture this sin issue is to perceive the fact that by eating that fruit, Adam permanently damaged and changed his DNA, and he passed that damaged DNA to all humanity through the inescapable generations of sexual intercourse so that no one escaped the damage.

Some will say that it is not possible that ingesting some fruit could damage your DNA. Well, in taking that attitude, you have set yourself above, the one that knows all things and created this body that you perpetually damage with chemically laden “foods” on a daily basis. You are also living in denial that these so-called flu vaccinations are changing and damaging your DNA when it has been proven that this is precisely their purpose.

Secondlythe gifts are given according to the grace given to each of us individually. 

What does that mean? 

It means that we are individuals, and there isn't an all-consuming blanket coverage. 

Romans 12:6 tells us that prophecy, for example, is given according to the proportion of that person's faith

Having operated in this realm, I can tell you it requires much faith. You must trust that you are hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit, which often sounds like your own inner voice.

A dear lady, who, on previous occasions, operated frequently in giving words to people, stopped me one day as I walked into the church and said, why aren't you doing what God told you to do? 

Do you know that we are to judge the prophetic?

Therefore, I responded, “I know what that means to me, but why don't you explain what you think it means?” She was dead on in her explanation. If I had been honest, I would have said I have run from giving God's words to crowds because they are incredibly intimidating, and I can hear all the negative voices telling me that I might lead people astray and fail. 

When I gave words to the church body, I was always in tears, and I can tell you that having the pastor whine at me and say, could you give these words to the church without tears; didn't help. My lady friend repeatedly told me that no one could hear me except for the two rows in front of me. Once I started obeying God and giving these words, it went on for six weeks (Suddenly, the others that had been giving words went silent.) I worked to bring the volume up, and I am sure I could be heard on the street on the last occasion. I was told that a couple (who had the ability to control things that happened in the church because of their significant contributions) complained to the pastor because I made God sound angry (what a peculiar thing to say, as though I could control God,) and the following week, I was met at the door by the pastor, as I tried to enter. 

The pastor told me of this complaint and said, "you are done giving these words, though, as he said, he could find no fault in what I said. Should you think that you have a word beyond this point you will run it through me and I will let you know if you get to deliver it." If only God worked that way with me. When the Holy Spirit's motivation hit me, I would ask Him to give me a clue as to what I would say (all this happened in my head.) The Holy Spirit's response was, as always, trust me. Trust Him is all I could do; therefore, the preposterous idea of running it past the pastor was improbable.

I told the Lord that I was through and to never ask me to give anyone a word again. Thankfully, the Holy Spirit laughed me off, and His speaking to me never stopped; some words were as simple as “God is not through with you yet.”

Here, in the days before the catching away of the bride, the implications are that we live in the age of grace (God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense.) 

Let me remind you of the words of a song that goes like this - “He paid a debt I could not pay.” In so doing, we receive the benefits awarded to those who accept His (Jesus) death and resurrection, which gave us all of God’s benefits to those who love Him. 

We are also given this exhortation.

For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.”
Romans 12:3 ESV

Every one of us has been given the measure of grace, but faith clearly varies among us, though that was not God's plan. Faith is faith, but having experienced the pressures that can affect faith, it is easy to see that events can put enough pressure on you to NOT trust and that lack of trust can affect your ability to trust God's plan. Paul tells us not to get high-minded; perhaps that is because you can be brought down quickly and with a crushing blow.

To be honest, I do not remember if this is the verse my pastor was referencing when he denounced New Testament-era prophets, but let's look at it anyway.

Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.”
1 Corinthians 13:8-10 ESV

  • “As for prophecies...”

    The Greek word for prophecies is the same word we saw in Romans 12:6. We did a deep dive into the background of this word prophēteia , and we found that it can also mean declarations, exhortations, and warnings while acting under divine influence. Some of us are very adept at giving out words like this.

  • They will pass away;”

    Pass away is also translated (in some versions) as done away. The Greek word for “pass away” is katargéō , which means to render inactive, idle, useless, or ineffective.

    What would be the most logical reason to make giving declarations, exhortations, and warnings while acting under divine influence inactive, idle, and useless?

    The first place this would have an impact would be when the church leaves the earth.

    Why here?

    Because we no longer have to interact with those who are struggling with their faith and relationship with Jesus. This is valid because we will now be with Jesus and the Father, the source of all knowledge.

    But there is a problem, as there will be many who did not go up in the rapture but thought they would.

    Who then would give out these prophetic words once the church is gone?

    Those who may have had a bit of knowledge of God's word and thought they should have gone. 

    In a sense, there will be an amazing revival on the earth, and this will be the second reason for the prophetic.

    In the Old Testament, the Prophet Joel speaks about the last days on earth before Jesus returns to end the pain down here and begin the millennial reign. Here is how he sets the tone.

    ...Let all the inhabitants of the land trembleFor the day of the LORD is coming, For it is at hand: A day of darkness and gloominess, A day of clouds and thick darkness like the morning clouds spread over the mountains. A people come, great and strong, The like of whom has never been; … Joel 2:1-2 NKJV.

    And yet, in the midst of all this tumult.

    "And it shall come to pass afterward That I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions. And also on My menservants and on My maidservants, I will pour out My Spirit in those days.” Joel 2:28-29 NKJV

    People will try to tell you that the Holy Spirit leaves the earth when the church goes up in the rapture. How about NOT!

In case you have not read it, I will give you this bit of insight. A common translation reads like this.

I bowed at his feet to worship him. But he told me, “Don’t do that! I am your coworker and a coworker of the Christians who hold on to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God because the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy!
Revelation 19:10 GW

So as long (7 years) as there is the possibility of people on earth giving testimony to Jesus, then the spirit of prophecy (the Holy Spiritwill be active and necessary.

Let's just admit it—for the most part, we don't know what we are talking about when we say that prophetic words have not existed since the New Testament. I get it—there is nothing new under the sun, but people get beat down and forget who they are—a Child of the Living God and an heir to the kingdom.

Is there any doubt that we (humans) have turned the prophetic into money making schemes, none whatsoever. As irritating as their actions are that doesn't make all of us bad or self-seeking.

We merely need to learn to judge correctly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make a relevant comment. If approved, it will be posted.

Featured Post

Will we have to go through the tribulation?

Then I heard a loud voice from the temple, saying to the seven angels, "Go and pour out on the earth the seven bowls of the wrath of...